When PASPA was overruled and individual states were granted the ability to operate sportsbooks, there was a flurry of activity in New York. A Senate hearing was held and legislation was introduced that provided the regulatory framework should sports betting become legal in the state.
The legislation expanded to not only cover land-based betting services but to also allow operators to provide mobile betting services.
It also addressed the various fees that would have to be paid to any governing body as well as the issues pertaining to sharing data.
Unfortunately, even though the legislature did get much support, it failed to make it to a vote in the Senate.
Since legislation did not pass in 2018, sports bettors and operators will now have to wait for the January 2019 session to begin, where the issue will be reviewed once again.
Sports betting would provide many New York casinos with increased revenue and the state would benefit from the taxes that will be collected, but until it passes through the Senate, there will be no live sports betting allowed within the borders of the state, leaving bettors seeking other ways to place bets, including traveling to nearby New Jersey.
Best Online Sportsbooks for NY Bettors
Regulations need to be established in New York for sportsbooks to first operate at retail locations before they move online. Though The Empire State hasn’t been the fastest, NY lawmakers are well on their way to regulate online sportsbooks.
It’s difficult to predict what the sportsbook landscape of NY will be, however, we can assume a few things based on some business relationships that have been happening in this state.
- DraftKings was the first online sportsbook to open in neighboring NJ and with their partnership Del Lago Resort and Casino in NY, it looks like a safe assumption that DraftKings will have a retail location there and then soon seek to go online in New York with a sportsbook app.
- FanDuel has already opened both in NJ and WV and is gearing up for the debut of online sportsbooks in PA as well. FanDuel sportsbook has partnered with Tioga Downs & Casino and so we can expect them to be operational at retail and online.
- Bet365 is a major British sportsbook that appears to be using the Empire State as it’s kicking-off point for its American-venture. Bet365 sportsbook is one of the best from Europe and has partnered with the Resorts World Catskills.
- Rivers Casino in New York is fully expected to have a sportsbook. There’s already a Rivers Casino sportsbook operational in neighboring PA, after all. It will probably go online too, SugarHouse (another casino owned by the same company) already has an online sportsbook in NJ. We’ll just have to wait and see if NY users get a SugarHouse or Rivers sportsbook app.
- Caesars sportsbook online is likely to crop in NY as well. Caesars entertainment has propertires all over the US and they’ve already got land-based and online sportsbooks in NJ; it’ll be no surprise to anyone when they launch in NY.
How to Place Sports Bets in NY
Even though there are no operating sportsbooks in New York, there are still some great options to enjoy safe and secure betting. Those that wish to get started will first have to select a licensed and reliable betting site, such as those that have been mentioned above.
They will then have to create a new member account, which will make them eligible for any bonus that is being offered.
After an account has been created and funded, bettors will be able to access the different markets supported and will have the ability to wager on just about any sport being played in the world.
Betting online is quite simple, though it may seem overwhelming at first. The first step is to know how to access the markets you’re interested in.
They will have a menu displayed that will list all of the covered markets at the site and will simply select those that interest them. Then, they will select games or matches and the types of bets they wish to place.
After this, one will simply select how much to wager and the bets will be added to the bet slip and entered with the site.
Any payouts that are generated will automatically be credited to the account and can be withdrawn.
The best online sportsbooks for NY residents will often provide tutorials and tips for those who are new to betting.
These can let bettors know exactly how to go about placing a bet on any supported sport and will also provide some tips on which bet types offer the greatest chances at generating payouts.
It is suggested that all new bettors take time to learn how the sites work and how to place bets before jumping into the action.
With some time and patience, new bettors will be able to learn the ropes and quickly start enjoying the thrills of online betting at the sites until the state passes laws to allow sports betting in NY.